Blog Motto

Blog Motto

Friday, February 26, 2016

Family Spotlight: The Wierenga Family | Reece's Rainbow


I'd like you to meet Colleen and James Wierenga. They are one of my warrior families. Long before they committed to their soon to be son, "Elijah," Colleen and I would browse Reece's Rainbow and dream about adopting together. She has such a heart for all people with special needs and has wanted to be a mommy for a long time. I will never forget the day that Colleen showed me Elijah's picture and said "We inquired about him." Then the happy, wonderful, excitement-filled day when she said "We've committed to him!" I could barely believe it and I was so joyful for them! She said when she first saw him, she was both terrified and excited. God led her to him and she followed. Still she didn't know what to expect and just took it day by day. When she showed her husband, both instantly knew he was to be theirs. His profile has his diagnosis as schizencephaly, for which they had a lot of unknown answers for, and got a lot of negative comments from people about. Still they followed God. When they met him during trip number 1, they were shocked, in awe, amazed, grateful, and knew without a doubt, this was their son. Colleen said "after Elijah, I wouldn't let anything on a waiting child's profile scare me away from adopting them." He could walk, babble, and laugh. This surprised them a little, as they weren't sure what to expect with his diagnosis. Currently they are getting his room painted and waiting on a court date and in just a couple months will be returning to his country to bring him home forever. I could not be more thrilled for them, and it has been a blessing to walk beside them through this. If you would like to donate to Elijah's adoption funds, click here to see their family sponsorship page, or go to their youcaring page here.

First came love:

Then came marriage:

Now comes the baby in the baby carriage:




No comments:

Post a Comment